Featured Blogger: Ruby Wright – GrowingUpBlackxican.com
This month’s Feature Blogger is celebrating a blog anniversary! Ruby Wright, Founder & Publisher of Growing Up Blackxican, a blog about growing up bicultural, bilingual, and all the adventures that go on started blogging exactly 2 years ago on December 9, 2009, to share what her kids were up to with family and friends since her family was a military family then.
Ruby Wright is raising her babies to be proud of their two cultures- Black and Mexican. She also wanted to share the things her family went through dealing with being an interracial couple with bicultural kids. After doing a survey earlier this year she found that her target audience are 20-30 year-old , married, stay at home moms of toddlers and preschoolers.
Ruby is a beautiful and amazing writer. Her blog is honest, informative and thought provoking. Ruby has been featured at Scentalicious at Blogalicious Blogalicious 2011 Conference. You can follow her at Twitter at @RubyDW or “Like” her Facebook page: Growing Up Blackxican.
Here is her interview:
- Your blog is turning 2 years old? What are some of the lessons learned with your blog? What are some of the goals you have for your blog in 2012?
I’ve learned to be consistent and to interact with my readers. My goals for 2012 are to feature more GUB like US families and individuals, get my husband to do a guest post, and to continue the bilingualism efforts with more flashcards pintables and related posts.
- What do you believe helps differentiate your blog/websites & business from others?
I think the name makes our blog very different from others. Though I am another mom blogger my blog is about our cultures, what we go thru being a mixed couple with bicultural kids, and our daily lives.
- Tell us about three people that you admire and why?
My Mom- A woman with so much passion, dedication, and strong will. Though she could be tough and want you to snap out of it when you’re down she means well and believes in you. My grandfather-A man of faith, determination and loyalty. Always true to his word.
- What is your favorite life or business quote?
“Life is what you make it.”-Eleanor Roosevelt
- What advice would you have for a mother who is thinking about starting a blog but may not know where/how to begin? What can you tell them about maintaining balance between home and work?
Have a plan and research. Blogging is fun but it does take a lot of time. Passion drives most of us. What is your passion? Follow it! To balance home, work, and family is hard I use a planner to stay on top of it all. Successful bloggers. It takes time, dedication and hard work to maintain a successful blog. I admire those who are committed and passionate about what they share with the world.
- Can you share what is the most important business habit you have?
Being honest and true to what I write is the most important business habit. I don’t want my readers to think I’m putting on a show or sharing something for my benefit, especially when it comes to reviews and/or giveaways.
- If you weren’t a full time blogger, what other field can you see yourself working in?
Definitely would be the education field. Working with continuing education and servicing the community really appealed to me. My job didn’t feel like I job.
- Are there any other projects you are currently working on? (Additional great news to share)?
I am currently working on a passion that started off by my mother. My mother is an advocate for literacy and I’ve followed in her footsteps. I believe reading to your child aloud has many benefits. I hope to create awareness for reading aloud to kids in English and Spanish thru my blog.
- What is the best book you’ve recently read and why?
Well it’s not that recent but I’ve read it 3 times so it must be my favorite. Rain of Gold by Victor Villaseñor will always be my go to. It reminds me of my family. My grandparents, our culture, my home! It can always make me feel at peace when I’m homesick.
- Do you ever refuse to review products you don’t actually use or believe in?
Yes! I refuse because I am not trying to be a commercial. I have to truly believe in the product and it has to fit my blog.
- Do you promote events or support through your blog any particular charity or non-profit organization?
Yes I support Ronald McDonald House Charities, March of Dimes, USO, Kiwanis and LATISM.
Happy Blog Anniversary Ruby!